Hackney Museum is free entry for everybody at all times. Only special events require booking (via Eventbrite).
On this page you will find useful information about the Museum’s location, facilities and accessibility. If you do not find the information you are looking for, please contact our Front of House team which will assist you to plan your visit.
Hackney Museum is located on the ground floor of the Technology and Learning Centre in the Hackney Town Hall square.
1 Reading Lane
Tues, Wed: 9.30am-5.30pm
Tuesday to Thursday: between 12pm and 1pm and after 3 pm.
Friday: 9.30am-11am and 2pm-5.30pm
Saturday: 10am-12 and 2pm-5pm
Plan your visit
Nearest stations: Hackney Central, Hackney Downs, London Fields.
Nearest station: Bethnal Green (Central Line) and then bus 106 or 254 from stop C.
Hackney Central is a major bus interchange for: 30, 38, 55, 56, 106, 236, 242, 253, 254, 276, 277, 394, 425, 488 and W15.
Hackney Museum is open to all, whether you are visiting alone or as part of a group. We encourage groups of 10 or more to get in touch with us before visiting, especially Tuesday to Fridays so we can provide advice to avoid clashing with other visiting groups.
Facilities and access
- We have a visual story [Google Slides] to help you prepare for your visit
- To enter into the building there is a push button operated door. Security staff can help with entry if needed.
- Hackney Museum is located on the ground floor of the building, with level access and automatic doors.
- Toilets are available inside Hackney Museum, just opposite the main reception. The toilets include: male, female and wheelchair accessible (gender neutral) and baby changing facilities.
- We can provide foldable stools and a foldable wheelchair for visitors.
- We welcome assistance dogs.
- Blue badge parking is available at the front of the building on Reading Lane. More parking spaces are available around Hackney Town Hall.
- Bicycle parking is available on the building’s forecourt. Please note that bikes are left unattended at your own risk, bring your own lock to prevent theft.
On weekdays Hackney Museum delivers learning sessions to local primary and secondary schools. The Museum is open to the general public as usual, however we appreciate that the workshops may be distracting to some visitors. Generally, the Museum is quieter on weekdays after 3pm when workshops for schools have finished, and at the weekends.
Food and Drink
Eating and drinking (except bottled water) are not allowed in Hackney Museum. We do not have a cafe, however there are many cafes, restaurants, pubs and world kitchens nearby.
To find out about what’s on and the facilities available, please visit out Families page.